Finding certified sewage cleanup services after water damage is imperative to maintaining the structure and safety of a home or business. Unlike the flooding that comes from storms, flooding that occurs as the result of sewage backup is more hazardous because of the unsanitary nature of the water. Sewage backup can be the result of a sudden issue in a building such as a burst pipe, or a malfunctioning appliance like an overflowing toilet or washing machine. Once sewage backup is present within a building, it’s important to hire emergency sewage cleanup services from a trusted company. With that in mind, there are steps that can be taken to reduce damage before sewage cleanup services arrive.
What to Do Before Performing Sewage Cleanup Services
The first priority before trying to perform any kind of sewage cleanup services is to make sure all safety precautions are taken:
- Get any children, pets, or seniors out of the area where the sewage backup is and don’t let them back in until the problem is solved.
- Call the utility companies in your area to make sure that the electricity, gas, and water supply to your building is shut off. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Open up any windows in the building to help with ventilation.
- Start the disinfection process and prevent the spread of bacteria by pouring a bit of chlorine bleach into the standing water.
- Call your insurance company and let them know that sewage backup has taken place. Take pictures of the damage so you’ll have documentation later.
What happens next and what steps you’ll need to take for sewage cleanup services will depend on just how bad the situation is. You may be able to handle the issue yourself if the backup isn’t too extensive. But if the job is too extensive to handle on your own or you’re not sure what to do, it may be a good idea to hire a professional. You should begin with sewage cleanup services as soon as possible since you’ll have to extract all the sewage backup before you can begin to repair the damage.
DIY Vs. Professional Sewage Cleanup Services
Here are the steps that should be taken by your sewage cleanup company. Before they begin, always ask for an overview of their cleanup process as well as the safety precautions they use. If they do not mention these steps, then you may want to look for a new cleanup crew:
- Remove all sewage water and debris: It’s important to do this as soon as possible. Get rid of the water using a pump and dispose of the solid debris using plastic bags.
- Remove items for decontamination: Items, such as furniture and other belongings, should be removed to a room with hard flooring so they can be decontaminated later. Anything that has been soaking in the sewage water should be disposed of. Any walling, flooring, or installation that has soaked up the sewer water should also be removed and disposed of.
- Disinfect the room and items: Use a strong detergent to wash down the walls and flooring completely. Look for places where mold could grow and dispose of anything unsalvageable if necessary. After everything has been cleaned, use dehumidifiers, fans, and ventilation to completely dry the area and prevent mold growth. At this point, begin the process of wiping down and disinfecting any furniture or other items that have been removed from the area. Some things may be unsalvageable. If a treasured item has been damaged, contents cleaning services may also be required.
- Repair and replace: This involves replacing any walls, flooring, or items that had to be disposed of and any lost furniture. Then, repair the cause of the damage.
In a situation where the damage has affected more than one room or if you have concerns about how to properly handle the situation, it would be best to hire professional sewage cleanup services like ABC Environmental Contracting Service in Wentzville, MO. Hiring a professional means that they’ll be able to be there through the whole process from fixing the cause of the damage to the restoration and they’ll have the professional equipment and trained staff to do the job properly.
“We know that no one likes to deal with sewage backup,” said owner Dan Benton. “That’s why our services are comprehensive, so we take care of all the aspects of sewage cleanup so your household can go back to normal.”
To learn more about how to hire sewage cleanup services from ABC Environmental, you can visit their website at https://abcenviroteam.com/water-damage-restoration/sewage-cleanup/ or give them a call at (314) 668-1509 to get a free estimate.